It's Hard to Do
It's hard to do, but yet it's something that we have to do. I was reading the message board today, and I read a lot of great reviews on White Wolf of Icicle Creek, but I also read a lot of posts where people were really mad at us. I understand - I would be mad too if I found out that I needed a new video card to play the brand new game I bought. But that's how things constantly improve - with change!
Technology zooms and passes us by daily; we try our best to keep up. It's ironic because if we never changed our hardware requirements, our games wouldn't run on today's computers anymore. Secrets Can Kill and Stay Tuned for Danger, run into that problem often, sadly. On the other hand, when we increase our minimum requirements, some people can't play our games anymore. We try our best to juggle a double-edged sword, and that's where tech support comes to save the day. Dylan and Kyle have been absolutely wonderful in answering questions and the rest of our development team have worked hard to create patches for some unforeseen issues. Always feel free to call us for tech support (1-800-460-8788, M-F, 8AM -5PM PST) - we are here to help you.
As for the "old Nancy" - what do you mean exactly? This is the list I've compiled from reading your comments
1) theme song - yes, I think we'll make the music play again, although it's in Nancy Drew Central.
2) Snooping - Nancy did more of that in White Wolf, so that's an improvement.
3) Opening Letters
4) Scariness - you want to be spooked!
5) Length - you like longer games
6) Challenging - but not frustrating, you want puzzles that make you think, not randomly guess
7) Suspect interaction - you like talking to the suspects and not knowing who the culprit is
What else am I missing - let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can try to incorporate it into our next games! We're growing and we're changing - but in the end, we just want to make better games!