Get Nancy Drew tips and tricks and other Nancy Drew PC games help with our tech support.
INI Error or CAL/CIFTREE Error
If you receive one of these errors after installing your game:
• Incorrect path to .ini file
• Error - Incorrect path to .INI (CAL/CIFTREE)
• CALTREE or CIFTREE Error
This means that the game installer cannot write to the expected file location. Creating a path to a new installation location will correct this problem.
1) Disable any security software – anti-virus, spyware protection, etc. – you have running. Anti-virus software can block parts of the configuration file.
2) Log in to the Administrator Account. If there is more than User Account (log in) on this computer, please install and play the game logged in under the Administrator Account.
3) If you previously installed this game or had a failed installation, a remaining configuration file can interfere with installing correctly. Try completely deleting the game folder. This is most easily done by running a search of all files and folders. Go to Start Menu > Start Search or the Search Bar > type in the name of the game. Any files or folders that come up need to be deleted and emptied from your Recycle Bin.
4) After logging in as the Administrator and disabling your anti-virus, you’re ready to manually install.
1. Go to your Documents folder and create a new folder. Name the folder with the title of the game.
2. Insert game Disc 1 in your disc drive. Go to Start Menu > Computer.
3. Right-click your CD-Rom/DVD drive and choose Open.
4. Look for the Setup file (this file will display as Setup Application, Setup.exe, or Setup Launcher Installshield). Double-click this file to start the installation process.
5. Move through the install process until you reach Choose Destination Location. Click the Browse button or Change button.
6. Navigate to the game folder you created by double-clicking in the Directories box. Select C: drive > Users > User name > Documents > the game folder you created. When you have the correct Path, choose OK.
7. Continue forward with the installation process. When asked if you want to install DirectX, check “No, I will install myself.”
8. Upon completion, click finish and exit setup.
For game titles #1-#5, you may need to follow these three additional steps:
1. Right-click the game icon that is now on your desktop, select Properties.
2. Under Properties, click on the Compatibility tab.
3. Check the Run in Compatibility Mode box and then select Windows 98/Me from the drop-down menu.